Tips for naturally healthy glowing skin - starting on the inside
What you apply to your skin greatly affects how you look - that's Skin Care 101. However, many of us don't realize that our daily habits, along with what we eat, can have a huge impact on the appearance of our skin, and more importantly, how fast we age.
Lets begin with the obvious: Skin care ingredients
There are 5 major ingredients that are clinically proven to repair and rejuvenate your skin: Linoleic Acids, Alpha-Hydroxy Acids, Vitamin C, Hyaluronic Acid and Trans-Retinoic Acid.
If you are using our "5 products, 4 steps, twice daily" regimen - rest assured: You are covered! Pure Skin Science products contain the right amounts of all the beneficial ingredients - without any potentially cell damaging additives.
Less obvious, but just as important: Daily habits
Rest: Another common sense anti-aging contributor is sleep, sleeep, sleeeep. Getting a good nights rest is essential for your body to be able to regenerate and detoxify. With the constant techno-overload, most of us don't rest as much as we should. Being exposed to our television, computer and cell-phone within an hour of going to bed restrains the production of melatonin - the hormone that controls our wake and sleep cycle. So make sure to shut off your screens at least an hour before you go to bed and focus on the end of the day. Read a book, have some herbal tea, take a bath, light a candle, just breathe and take the time to be grateful for the little things in life, and let the business of the day slip away.
Detoxify & Increase Circulation: With all the modern day conveniences, our daily life exposes us to damaging positively charged ions, petrochemicals and environmental toxins. While we cannot really change that, here are some measures everyone can take to help our bodies cope:
Dry (or wet) Body Brushing: This is a simple daily routine that will make you feel great and look radiant. Use a boar bristle body brush (available at health food stores or online) and start at your feet, brushing in small circles and strokes towards your heart. Cover your whole body, legs and arms, then up your back (get a brush with a long handle!!) and finish in front. This gets your lymph flowing and blood circulating. These fluids carry toxins, and when stimulated will deposit those to your elimination organs, were they get expelled. You can do this in the shower and add an exfoliant, like our Active Exfoliation Therapy, for increased shedding of dead, dull skin, or you can do it dry prior to showering. The important thing is that you do it regularly, so your body learns not to hold on to toxic waste. Drink lots of green tea, herbal teas and clean water to assist with removal of toxins - squeeze some organic lemons and omit the ice to alkalize your body and reduce inflammation. An added benefit: This routine will help to reduce cellulite and firm your skin!
Infrared Sauna: Far infrared waves increase temperature and circulation in our core. It causes sweating and toxin removal through the skin without overheating, as well as increasing circulation throughout our internal organs. It is said to be beneficial for anything from relaxation, pain relief, weight loss, skin purification, circulatory issues, poor digestion to anger and depression. Choose an infrared sauna that features chromotherapy (the light on the ceiling that changes through all the colors of the light spectrum). Just 20-30 minutes will leave you feeling uplifted, relaxed, and regenerated. While enjoying your sauna, leave the worries of your life behind and focus on your breathing, not allowing any negative or stressful thoughts in. You will emerge rejuvenated and ready for anything - after all, it is stress that ages us. This is a great way to majorly reduce the dis-harmonies of life! 1-3 times per week is recommended.
3 Foods To Avoid & 3 Foods To Indulge:
AVOID: Sugar, Salt & Bad Fats. Sugar stiffens the elastic fibers of your skin and damages collagen, ultimately amplifying the aging process, resulting in wrinkles, sagging, loss of firmness and the development of dark spots. Salt can be detrimental to your cognitive health, along with causing overall puffiness and bags under your eyes. Poly-Unsaturated Fats are a big controversy. We were told for years to eat lots of Omega 3, but new research shows that these oils can contribute to the aging process. Their lack of hydrogen atoms leaves them vulnerable to free radicals, which can cause cellular damage and therefore aging.Trans-Fats or Hydrogenated Oils are already widely known to cause health (and beauty) issues.
INDULGE: Good Fats, Zinc & Antioxidants. Fats that actually help fight wrinkles are very few and far apart: organic virgin raw coconut & olive oils and plain organic unsalted butter. These fats help to build a protective layer around our cells to keep hydration in, which results in plumper, firmer, and more hydrated looking skin. Zinc helps our bodies to structure proteins properly, a function that is imperative for tight, firm skin. It also is a valuable immune-booster, stimulating our metabolism and cell regeneration, which is essential for healthy collagen production, which translates as a youthful, plump complexion. Antioxidants protect our skin from aging by limiting the production of free radicals, which potentially attach to our cells and limit their ability to regenerate, resulting in premature aging. The top rejuvenating antioxidants in food are vitamins A & C, Lycopene (found in cooked tomatoes) and Polyphenols (green tea is loaded with them). Vitamin A is found in foods mostly in red meats. Most of us don't have the desire to eat that, so scroll down for vegan alternatives.
Getting your anti-aging nutrients from the food you eat is of course more desirable than taking supplements. To assist with your journey of rejuvenation, we have compiled the following list of foods and their benefits. Cheers to happy eating!
- Apples: Full of fiber which aids in digestion. Their high content of vitamin C helps to build collagen, and their levels of copper encourage your skin to produce melanin, the pigment responsible for color in your skin.
- Avocados: Rich in healthy fatty acids, vitamins and antioxidants that can improve your skin from the inside. Contains more potassium than a banana.
- Beans: Anthocyanin is found in very high quantities in black beans. Beans are also high in isoflavones (more anti-aging properties) while providing a low-fat source of protein and fiber.
- Beets: High in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, potassium (for nerve and muscle function), manganese (for bone health, liver, kidneys and pancreas) and Folate.
- Blueberries: Packed with flavonoids - antioxidants that keep your skin youthful and radiant, a rich source of vitamin C, known to strengthen blood vessels (aiding with broken capillaries and rosacea). Support connective tissue, keeping skin firm.
- Broccoli: Broccoli aids in skin repair, due to the glucoraphanin that gets converted to sulforaphane. It also contains Vitamin A and C, which both benefit skin rejuvenation. Always eat cruciferous vegetables like broccoli cooked, not raw to protect thyroid function.
- Cucumbers: One of the best anti-aging foods found in nature. They have countless benefits, including skin hydration, removal of toxins, supply of skin beneficial minerals, vitamins A,B and C
- Cinnamon: Using cinnamon as a topical solution stimulates your blood vessels, which in turn plumps your skin. Additionally, cinnamon increases your collagen levels, increasing your skin's elasticity, while keeping blood sugar levels regulated.
- Garlic: Has major antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antiomicrobial properties, which are all helpful for those who struggle with acne. The S-allyl cysteine in garlic also protects your skin from UV radiation and other signs of aging.
- Green Tea: Full of Polyphenols, drink at least 4 cups per day, great anti-aging choice instead of coffee!
- Honey: Has antioxidant properties which slow down signs of aging. Honey is also very moisturizing and is naturally antibacterial, which makes it great for treating and preventing acne. It can help lighten skin discolorations due to it's enzyme contents, and increases tissue regeneration. Great externally as a face masque.
- Leafy Greens (chard, arugula, kale and spinach): Rich source of vitamins, minerals, and age-fighting phytonutrients. Support new cell growth, repair and detoxify of the body. Packed with Vitamin A which can help with acne as it limits the production of sebum and eliminates toxins. Vitamin E protects your skin from free-radical damage and Beta-carotene stimulates cell renewal. Biotin boosts hydration and Fatty Acids maintain healthy cell membranes. Always eat cruciferous vegetables like kale and spinach cooked, not raw to protect thyroid function.
- Miso: It is packed with antioxidants that work against signs of aging, and the fermented paste helps balance flora in your gut which in turn keeps your complexion clear. Linoleic acid helps your skin stay nourished, clear and supple.
- Oats: Contain saponins that are anti-inflammatory and antioxidants. Oats are also incredibly soothing and moisturizing, greatly aiding those who suffer from eczema.
- Onions: Onions are rich in Vitamins A, C and E, which prevent free radical damage to your skin, and also protect from UV radiation.
- Oranges: Play a key role in strengthening your immune system. Packed with vitamin C which helps your body absorb plant-based iron and is needed for the production of collagen to keep your skin youthful.
- Pine Nuts: Contain good fats for healthy skin. Packed with antioxidants (selenium, lutein, Vitamins A, B, C, E and K) which help fight free radicals, aid in skin elasticity, is anti-inflammatory, as well as anti-aging.
- Pomegranate: Packed with Vitamin C to protect against free radicals, boost elasticity, stimulate collagen production, reduce wrinkles and sagging skin. Combats inflammation and great for acne-sufferers.
- Pumpkin: Contain potent antioxidants that promote a glowing and healthy complexion. Helps to reverse UV damage. Rich in Vitamins (C, E, B2, B3, B6, & B9) and minerals (copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium & zinc). Improves collagen production, skin brightening, cell repair and acne.
- Radishes: High in Vitamin C and antioxidants that restore radiance and build collagen. Has anti-inflammatory properties which calm skin and promotes cell turnover.
- Red Cabbage: Vitamin C is vital for brightening your skin and building collagen. Red cabbage has twice the amount of vitamin C as green cabbage. Essential nutrients hydrate your skin from the inside out, keeping your complexion nourished and smooth. The carotenoids that create the purple color is are anti-inflammatory, which is aids in skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, rosacea & acne.
- Red Wine: A daily glass of red wine can work wonders for your skin - just don't drink the whole bottle! It contains potent antioxidants that prevent premature aging. Reservatrol is a well known rejuvenator and anti-inflammatory that helps keep skin young and clear.
- Sesame Seeds: Sesame seeds contain protein and essential fatty acids as well as nutrients. Also known to help with grey hair, vision, and bone-strength.
- Tomatoes: Enjoy them cooked for the most benefits - they are full of lycopene.
- Turmeric: Contains bioactive compounds, curcumin being the main active ingredient. It is a natural anti-inflammatory and dramatically increases the anti-oxidant capacity of the body.
- Walnuts:The nourishing fats in walnuts attract moisture from the air, soothing dry skin. These healthy fats also reduce skin inflammation and protect the skin against harmful UV rays.
The pure skin science basic regimen includes 5 handcrafted organic vegan products that work in synergy to supply ultimate skin clarifying, hydrating, plumping and nourishing in 4 easy steps twice daily, without exposure to potentially harmful chemicals. Specialty treatments can be added to fortify results and address specific concerns.
Discover the transformative power of Ultra Peptides! Our potent peptide serum is formulated with only active ingredients, including Snap 8, Acetyl Hexapeptide 8, Palmitoyl Tripeptide 1, and Decapeptide 12. Plus, Hyaluronic Acid for deep skin plumping hydration! This powerful blend repairs, corrects, tightens, and reduces discoloration- all while providing maximum potency and safety, utilizing the highest clinically recommended dose of all 4 peptides. Experience results that become progressively stronger with each daily use, and can reduce wrinkle depth by 30% in 30 days!
To use: Apply AM and PM after Rejuvenating Mist, while skin is still moist. For faster, fortified results mix with one pump of Intense Hydration Copper Peptides in the AM and with one pump of Complexion Perfection in the PM. Apply Snap 8 to expression lines prior to application for stronger botox-like results.
Ingredients: Aqua, Neroli, Leucidal Peptide, Multiple Weight Hyaluronic Acids, Snap 8 Peptide, Acetyl Hexapeptide 8, Palmitoyl Tripeptide 1, Decapeptide 12